Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Training Tuesday

This past week we worked on using watercolor. But frankly, I am really frustrated! The paints we have are cheap and light and somewhat useless. So I found watercolor pencils and thought we would give those a try. I seriously do not understand how to use these.

We tried painting over a drawing with water but it does not do much. Anyone else have any suggestions? I am willing to buy different paints but any ideas what?

So for this Training Tuesday, I beg all of you to train me! Watercolor 101...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Shannon! I have taught the girls to "stir" their wet brush in the color 5-10 times before painting. This loads the brush with lots of paint and gives brighter colors. We also splurge on water color paper - it's so nice to work with! Not sure about the pencils - I haven't played with those much! :) Amy

Anonymous said...

My dad (an artist by trade) uses the watercolor pencils like a brush -- just keeps a glass of water or shallow dish nearby to dip them into every few strokes. They do wear down quickly, unfortunately! Good luck!

Shannon said...

Thank you both! We will try the paper and wetting the pencils! Who thought watercolor would be so perplexing and frustrating!